Sunday, February 22, 2009

Emergency Barbeque Rib Recipe

Emergency Barbeque Rib Recipe


The emergency barbeque rib recipe is for...emergencies. My wife asked me late Saturday morning at what time I planned to put the ribs on. "Put the ribs on??? What the hell are you talking about put the ribs on???" "I hadn't planned on smoking ribs today!" You see, my wife was hosting a wedding shower for her cousin. I knew about the shower, but I had no idea that she had volunteered my bbq expertise. It was about 10am and I didn't even have any ribs. The shower was scheduled to begin at 5pm.

If you recall my last post, you'll remember that barbequing ribs is a two day process. To have ribs done for a Saturday shower, I would have needed to rub the ribs down on Friday. What was I supposed to do? Buy ribs from a barbeque restaurant? I'd rather buy crack. Considering that I would need to go to the store and get some ribs, I had about 4 hours to go from zero to lip smackin' good. It's a good thing I'm a rib master.

If you ever find yourself in an emergency situation like this, read on.

Start with the ribs for beginners rub and DON'T ADD THE BROWN SUGAR. The sugar will cause the ribs to blacken quickly at the temperature we'll be cooking at. Instead of spare ribs, I went with the back ribs which are cut from a more tender area of the cow. I needed to go with a more tender cut because I was going to be cooking these ribs much hotter than I normally would. Also, rather than mist the ribs as they cooked, I was going to mop them. The mop would really help to keep them from getting too tough as I speed cooked them.

Baby Back Rib Mop Recipe

1 cup apple cider (not vinegar)
3 tablespoons of butter
4 tablespoons of soy sauce
4 teaspoons of kentucky bourbon

Melt the butter in a sauce pan and then add the soy sauce, cider, and the bourbon. Start your fire and we're going to take it up to about 280 to 300 degrees. When your grill is heated, add the ribs meat side up. Normally we let ribs cook without bothering them, but we're going to mop them with our mop sauce after the first 45 minutes and then once an hour. We need to keep them well lubricated so they don't dry out at the high cooking temperature.
When the meat shrinks back from the bone, those bad boys should be done.

This is the exact recipe that I followed Saturday. Let me say this: those babies turned out awesome. I didn't think the flavor would be as good because I wound up only cooking them for about 3 and half hours. The pink smoke ring wasn't as pronounced as I would have liked but the mopping kept them juicy and that bourbon just set the flavor off beautifully. Next time, I may use this bourbon mop and smoke them properly.

If you have a recipe for a good barbeque rib recipe, please email it to me; I'm getting hungry!

No comments: